When Apple first released it's free authoring application, iBooks Author, it was largely designed for creating rich, multimedia, and interactive textbooks for the education market.
But over the past year, we've seen the adoption of this powerful application by authors creating books outside of the textbook market.
This presents some challenges for content creators who wish to produce a different kind of book. Because the software was designed with textbooks in mind, templates and layouts can be a bit hard to work with if you want to create, for example, a picture book.
While the application is drag-and-drop simple to use, the layout hierarchy of Chapter >> Section >> Text can be a little challenging to work with. And you don’t have to spend much time on the support forums to find authors frustrated with the software’s assumptions about what a book looks like (psst...we have customized templates to help with that frustration).
How create a chapter-less photo book in iBooks Author
In this tutorial, you'l learn a few tips and tricks to help you create a book without chapters in iBooks Author.
Creating A Picture Book Without Chapters
Step-by-step (see images below):
- Instead of starting with a Chapter, start your book with a Section page
- Next add blank pages behind it.
- Add images to those pages (Note: the screen size for landscape images is 1024 x 748. iPad with Retina display that has a resolution of 2048x1536 pixels).
- Go to the inspector an select the first tab "Document" and click "disable in portrait orientation"
- You'll notice we might have a slight problem with the Table of Contents. Here's how to fix it.
- Add a background image to the table of contents.
- In order to preview, select the preview button in the top right corner.
Now you've got a picture book without chapters and a customized table of contents for iBooks Author.
If you're creating a picture book or any book containing images without a lot of text, designing the right layouts is critical for the ultimate viewing experience. Our templates set the gold standard when it comes to beautiful, engaging layouts. Check out our iBooks Author Template Library!
The template used in the example above is the Modern Template.